Tuesday, October 7, 2008

October 7, 2008

Hi Everyone,

Where to start! First of all, I had the cataract removed from my left eye last week in Bismarck, North Dakota. Tomorrow I will have the right one removed. I am more than pleased with the results so far. I just couldn't wait any longer -- so my opthalmologist in California missed out even though he knew I had cataracts and couldn't see out of my glasses for the last two years. Finally, I can see clearly - instead of seeing two of everything with my left eye. Can't wait to get the other one done tomorrw. In the meantime, there are lots of eye drops to contend with until this is all over. Now finally, when Jerry says as we travel "Mary, look at that." I can see what he's talking about.

But, we found time after my first surgery to go over to Minot to attend the Norst Hostfest, North America's largest Scandinavian Festival. There was entertainment every hour in five different venues, lots of Danish and Swedish foods to choose from, art and gifts representing that portion of the world and their heritage, hosts dressed in native garb, and many side show activities. We had an absolute ball!

There was the Johnny Cash Tribute by Sherwin Linton & The Cotton Kings (who Johnny Cash acknowledged when he was alive as the best of those imitating him -- and he really sounded like Johnny Cash, too), Kenny Rogers, Oak Ridge Boys, Charlie Pride, Randy Travis, Peking Acrobats, Tribute to the Beatles by the Abbey Road Band, Patsy Kline Tribute by Kathy Bender (she sounded just like Patsy Kline) and too many other groups and performers to mention. There was also a wonderful performance by Daniel O'Donnell who flew over from Ireland. We had never heard of him even though he has been performing for over 27 years and the Festival had to add a third performance for him because he was sold out immediately. Both he and Kenny Rogers put on great shows and really worked with their audiences. We bought a couple of Mr. O'Donnell's CDs that we will play as we travel down the road.

Have to admit, I had three ice cream cones in one day in between performances and walking the floors. We heard that there were 12,000-15,000 people in attendance each day, including lots of Canadians. We definitely plan to come back to this Festival again in the future.

I've included a picture below of my brother's Laser Guided Cement Leveling Machine. He has a construction company and is the only one in Minot who has this unit. It allows him to pour and level five times as much cement in one day as the regular cement pouring process. The laser guided system automatically levels the cement to the designated height and angle. Cool!
Just because we haven't included a lot of personal family pictures on this blog, we had to include one of Tanner. Tanner is my nephew's six-month old baby boy. He is so cute and smiles a lot.

Lastly, here is something that we never thought about in the years we were working towards retirement. During those years, we were lucky if I saw my brothers and sisters once a year (usually at a wedding or funeral), except for my sister who at that time also lived in LA and I saw frequently. Now that we are semi-retired, we have had the wonderful opportunity to see my other brothers and sisters, and my son, Sean, and their families three or four times so far this summer. It's like when we were kids again and took each other's presence in our lives as commonplace. Just one more blessing of having made it through the hectic years and living this lifestyle.

Oh yes, I picked up my new bike when we were in Minot, but I have not had a chance to ride it yet. For one reason, it rained on Sunday in Minot. For another reason, I don't want to drive it on gravel. And, I really want my eyes to be healed before I take it out. Got a beautiful lavender helmet to go with it!!

On Thursday, we will drive to Fargo, North Dakota and spend a week on Sean's farm. Remember, he is the one who has all the goats. Looking forward to that.

I'm not going to comment on the stock market or the economy -- even though it is very much on my mind. Hopefully, we have hit the bottom and things will start looking up after the election (whoever wins).

Take care, everyone. We miss you -- but we love this way of living -- so you are in our thoughts until we make it to your area.

Jerry and Mary