Sunday, October 26, 2008

October 26,2008

Hi Everyone,

Lesson learned! Never EVER play around with the background computer programming code for a website unless you know what you are doing. Trying to accommodate one of our faithful readers (he better be, he's our son) to add a "Comment" box at the end of each new posting (as we had in last year's blog), I studied the computer code -- and after hours of intense study, thinking I knew what I was doing, I substituted new code for the current code in one spot. Bad idea! I immediately lost 16-18 pictures previously posted on this blog (some real nice ones, too). Worst yet - the "Comment" box never showed up on the blog. So ____ (you know who you are), you will just have to e-mail us your comments (as everyone else does) at cambriabythesea@msn.com.

After the class reunion in Grand Forks, ND we traveled to Jamestown, ND where we spent three days. It was cold and windy -- just as I remember North Dakota to be. The RV Park was right next to the "Largest Buffalo in the World." (See picture below of Chanti and me standing next to it.) I'd seen that buffalo from the freeway hundreds of times in my lifetime and now got to touch it! Gee -- how exciting!!!

Then we drove to Bismarck, got the stitches out of my right eye and could immediately see 20/20. But, my vision is still in the process of stabilizing and will take some time, yet. At least I can see distances, read road signs, read books, and work on the computer -- all without glasses for the last month. Now when I look in the mirror -- never mind.

From Bismarck, we spend 6 hours driving through Indian Reservations in both North and South Dakota because Jerry wanted to drive through an out-of-the way area. There was nothing spectacular to see the whole way. (Again, see picture below.) All I could think of was that, at one time, the Indians owned all of America. Then, the white folks came, took away all the beautiful parts of America, and allocated to the Indians what was left over.

You may be wondering why I put a picture of Subway on the side of this blog. Truth be told, we are trying to eat at all Jared's Subways across the USA. We are creatures of habit in some ways. Everytime we travel in the RV and it comes towards noontime, we look for the nearest Subway. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many Subways we have eaten at since we started this trip -- probably between 75 and 100. We love Subway!

Yesterday we drove to Buffalo, Wyoming where we spent the evening with very good friends from long ago. I've known Marlene since 1958 (she was in nursing with me) and have known her husband, Dick, since shortly after Marlene found him. It was such a pleasure being with them and their family -- and so much fun, too. I remember Kenny, their oldest, when he was just a one-year old running around with a hot dog and chips in his tiny hands. He is now 46 years old, with a lovely wife and a two year old (Abby). Boy, do they do up their house for Halloween!

We parked in their driveway. It snowed a bit last night and the temperature was 15 degrees with the windchill this morning. Jerry had to wait for the ice to melt off of the sideouts before he could put them back in.

Today we drove to Cody, WY (a more than four-hour drive from their place) and are at an RV park in the city. Tomorrow we will drive into Yellowstone National Park where we will be dry camping for as long as we can. Hope we don't freeze as the temperatures are getting quite low (especially at night).

Until next time, stay warm -- or for those of you in California, stay cool. We miss you all.